Writing Excel Data directly into Access Table
We can Import data from external data sources; from another Access database, dBase, Foxpro, Excel and so on. We can Export data from Access into these Applications as well.
Following is a list of topics I have published earlier; either on importing, exporting or working with external data sources from Microsoft Access:
- Exporting/Importing Data in Text format
- GetRows() Function and Exporting Data
- Import Objects with VB Code
- Adding Data Directly into External databases
- Link External Tables with VBA
- Linking with IBM AS400 Tables
Today, we will explore how to add a range of excel cells data directly into Access Table, by running VBA Code from within Excel?
The Algorithm of the program is as given below:
- Create an Access Application Object and open it.
- Open the target database within the Access Application.
- Keep the Access Application window hidden.
- Open the target table from the Database.
- Take the count of Rows from one of the Excel data column.
- Open a repeating loop to write the excel data one row at a time, from second row onwards.
- Repeat the writing action till all the rows are transferred to the Access Table.
- Close the table, database and quit MS-Access Application.
The Excel VBA Code is Run by clicking a Command Button on Excel Sheet. Sample image of the Excel Sheet with data and Command Button is given below:
Target Access Table Structure image is given below:
The Excel VBA Code is given below:
Sub Button1_Click() Dim objAcc As Object Dim recSet As Object Dim DataRow As Long, EndRow As Long On Error GoTo Button1_Click_Err 'Create Access Application Object Set objAcc = CreateObject("Access.Application") 'Open Database in Microsoft Access window objAcc.OpenCurrentDatabase "F:\mdbs\Database4XL.accdb", True 'Keep Access application window hidden objAcc.Visible = False 'Open Access Table to add records from Excel Set recSet = objAcc.CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Table1") 'Take actual row counts of data for transfer EndRow = Sheet1.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row With recSet For DataRow = 2 To EndRow .AddNew ![Desc] = Sheet1.Range("A" & DataRow).Value ![Qrtr1] = Sheet1.Cells.Range("B" & DataRow).Value ![Qrtr2] = Sheet1.Cells.Range("C" & DataRow).Value ![Qrtr3] = Sheet1.Cells.Range("D" & DataRow).Value ![Qrtr4] = Sheet1.Cells.Range("E" & DataRow).Value .Update Next End With recSet.Close objAcc.Quit Set objAcc = Nothing Button1_Click_Exit: Exit Sub Button1_Click_Err: MsgBox Err & " : " & Err.Description, , "Button1_Click()" Resume Button1_Click_Exit End Sub
Courtesy: The non-functional raw VBA Code was presented by a User in www.mrexcel.com/forum/microsoft-access, modified by me to make it functional and was originally submitted there.
The first field of the table is an ID field with data type AutoNumber. ID field value is automatically generated when data is inserted into the other fields.